CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

So Many Choices... Just Pick One!

So I made it through Thanksgiving. Feeling a fat these days, but I just bought some new bras, so at least my breasts are perky, even if the buttons on my pants no longer latch.

As usual, the staff here (who are the most ungrateful group of people I have ever met) are bent on complaining and whining. Last year I organized a Thanksgiving potluck. I don't know too many companies who even acknowledge Thanksgiving in the office, other than to give you 2 days off to eat and then recover. But I try to make this a happy place, so we did the potluck and this year I just didn't have time (or the will power if you must know). So my boss told everyone, we're still open to the potluck idea, and if anyone wants to organize it, please feel free. Do you think anyone did? Not one single person stepped up to the plate. I'm not sure they should anyway, last time they were in charge of organizing the Halloween party and they left pumpkins rotting in the conference room for over a week. Again, I refused to pick them up, I was supposed to be free and clear from having to do anything for that event either. I'm not the fucking wedding planner here ya know. LOL!

So now onto the Christmas holiday. I've arranged for a very nice dinner after work for all the staff to enjoy, drinks and stuff included. Since I only have a budget of $50 per person, I really couldn't do that much, and spouses, partners, boyfriends/girlfriends are not invited this year due to budget cuts (but hey, last year I allowed someone else to arrange it and we ended up having pizza and went bowling. Yes bowling. For Christmas. I can't allow THAT to happen again.) We usually do a Secret Santa too, so to continue with trying to do what the staff wants, I sent out an email telling them to vote if they wanted Secret Santa or not. You will never beleive the response, but a few people actually suggested potluck ! I kid you not! Of course there are always the people who don't choose one of my suggestions and throw out one of their own. One thing I refuse - and I mean I REFUSE - to do is Yankee Swap. For those that don't know, Secret Santa is when you buy a gift for a designated person (usually limiting the amount of money to spend) and they open it knowing it is for them and only them. Yankee swap is when you buy a random gift for anyone and once you open a gift, other people can "steal" it from you. Basically the last person to open the gift is the one who gets the best present by taking from other people.

So yeah, I don't think it would be a particularly good idea to take things from people in this office, especially with their attitudes the way it is. Can you imagine a Senior Management person taking a Yankee Swap gift from a lower paid employee? What a nightmare, I'm sure the gossip would flow freely after that.

Basically, what I'm saying is Yankee Swap wasn't a freakin choice, so don't tell me that you pick it. Idiots.

By the way, a secretary in one of our other offices just won $20 Million Dollars in the lottery. She left work at 10AM and no one has seen her since. That lucky bitch. I'm so jealous.

Esther and Esmerelda are back from their romantic getaway. Miserable as usual. I hope I pick one of them for Secret Santa and I will go buy one of those fake plastic poopies that look real. I would so love that. Of course I won't, but it's fun to dream.

2 comments:

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

I was once the victim of the Yankee Swap and you're totally right the last person gets the best loot.

I used to organize the holiday party when I was the office manager for a contractor. The first year I was so dumb I let them have an open bar. A couple of the guys ended up in jail and we were lucky we didn't get sued.

The year after that I got rid of the open bar and had more budget for food and only half of them showed up out of protest at no booze.

The year after that we had no party at all and I got them all grocery store gift cards in the amount I would have spent on each of them for a party. It was a huge load off.

Ungrateful bastards.

The Guv'ner said...

I WANT TO WIN $20M!!!! I DESERVE IT DAMMIT! Grrrr.

:)

I have never heard of Yankee Swap (I thought it was a wife swapping thing in baseball)

I find that you can organize the shit out of something and no one gives a rat's ass in the end for all your hard work. It's so disheartening. Just get a huge keg and 28 straws and tell them to have at it.

Hmmmph.